Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > Food & Nutrition > Food > Foods That are Bad For Dogs (Snorkies)

Foods That are Bad For Dogs (Snorkies)

Replies: 1 - 15 of 15
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
keneb325
Contact Me
Is Turkey Breast, Dark Meat or Corn bad for dogs

sands904
Contact Me
Happy Holidays! Turkey breast is fine for dogs. Dark meat is a little fattier and greasier but should be okay within reason. Corn, broccoli, carrots and most veggies except onions are good for dogs as long as there is no butter, salt, etc. I peeled some potatoes for my dogs and wrapped them in foil and baked them in the oven and then mashed them on the plate and topped them with turkey breast, cooked broccoli, cauliflower & carrots and some sliced fresh cranberries and they loved it! [:D]
Cookie
Contact Me
I am really frustrated with trying to find a healthy food that Daisy will eat. She is 2 and a half years old, and since I got her Ive been struggling with trying to feed her. When I got her she was eating Nutrisource and I decided to keep her on it. Eventually she stopped eating it so I began mixing it with wet beneful. For a while she ate that then stopped that too, so next I mixed her nutrisource with beneful and pieces of any meat that I had. Now shes not even eating that...she will pick out the meat and just spit the other food all over the floor. I really want her to eat healthy dogfood...she will go days without eating until I feed her tablefood. Now... I know you guys will just say STOP feeding her table food but when she looks at me with those sweet brown eyes..I just feel so bad for her...she starts talking to me, as if to say..pleaseeee mommy, its just so sad :-( Im at a loss...should I just give up and feed her what she wants??
sands904
Contact Me
I have a very picky little one also. I have been doing some reading and research and found that *most* human food is actually better for them than *most* dog foods. The huge commercial dog food companies have us believing that all dogs should eat is dog food. I have been reading a great boot called the Natural Dog by Deva Khalsa. It has some wonderful information about dog food and healthy human alternatives. There is also a section in the back with recipies you can make your dog. I switched all three of my dogs to a mix of home-prepared meals, raw food diet, canned dog food and some kibble. They are all doing wonderful with it and LOVE it. When I do feed them kibble they get Orijen which is about $75 for a 27lb bag so most of the home-prepared meals are actually cheaper they just take a little time. It has also made me start cooking some better meals for me and my husband which is a good thing also. Best of Luck!
sophiesmom
Contact Me
We feed all of ours Royal Canin brand. The German Shepherds get their specific breed and the little ones get adult mini and baby puppy. It is pretty expensive (but cheaper than some) and is only sold at vets and places like Petsmart. It's wonderful dog food and is made for the individual breeds. My dogs and cats have been eating it for 23 years and have done wonderful. I also make my little ones a "home cooked" meal once a week. I boil some chicken, add a few veggies and a little seasoning and then when it's done, I rinse as much of the grease and fat off of it I can and then add it to rice. They love it and it's a good treat for them. I honestly believe that they tend to get bored with the same old thing day in and day out. I know I would, so I like to give then about a half a cup or so every other day.
Outlaw16
Contact Me
We use Orijen Puppy and our puppy loves it. It is a grain-free food . Little expensive and not sold in chain stores. He is very healthy, with muscles and a shiny coat
Gypsy
Contact Me
I find that Blue Buffalo is one of the best quality and most natural foods in stores. I prefer a home made dog food over store bought but lets face it we dont all have the time or energy. My dog likes the food but they have these little life source bits in it and she always spits them out I find my mom's dog does the same thing. If you try home made Rabbit meat is the best choice it's very lean and is packed with protein! Corn isn't bad for dogs but it's not beneficial to them I'ld suggest chicken or rabbit over turkey. And white meat is leaner so is a better option but variety is always good so go ahead and mix it up a little!
Shenandoah
Contact Me
Hello,

i have my little Papeagle 1,5 years now and since i got him, i did dog food research. Since my cats in Germany always got Science Diet and Iams i thought that must be good for dogs too and so my research started. I tried out Halo, Wellness Core and the little bit cheaper but good Merrick food. Charlie didn't seem to like any of them.  I checked (ingredients, fiber, byproducts! all that stuff) all the dog foods they have at Petco, grocery stores and even food you only can order online. High dollar food and cheap store brands. I was shocked and surprised in the same time. I ended up now feeding Flint River Ranch dog food which i cant get in stores, i have to order online directly. Natural, holistic dog food. He likes it and i am happy we finally found a food which is good for him and affordable as well. After the research i even switched my cats from Science Diet to Merrick now 

BellaBonBon
Contact Me
I strongly urge you to try Orijen.  It is amazing food.  It is full of all sorts of different meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, and even marigold flowers (which are excellent for animals and humans alike).

Additionally, I know this may sound patronizing, and I'm sure you take good care of your pets, but...if your dog is getting to the point where he or she is not eating, you may take them to the vet and request an in-depth oral diagnostic.  Your vet (if they are reputable) will know what you mean. They check for abscesses in the mouth, infections, and cavities.  Generally speaking, dogs don't get cavities because of the low-sugar intake. However, it does happen, especially with dogs who receive commercial (store bought) dog treats.

Lastly...make sure you're not being an enabler. I know this may sound cruel to some, but it is actually the opposite.  A lot of dogs will become fussy eaters because their owners allow them to be that way, and support their dog's bad habit by bending over backwards to get high priced foods or fresh human-grade food IE: chicken, etc.  Please be aware that most dogs are *not* by nature picky eaters, but can become that way if they know you'll give them delicious nom-noms if they don't eat other foods. We had to train a dog that we petsat for.  He only ate freshly boiled chicken breast and rice when he came to  us. I asked about allergies; nope.  I asked about gastrointestinal problems; nope.  Fact was;  this dog had his owners wrapped around his paws. He ate OUR dog food just fine with no problems when we made it very clear that we weren't playing his game.  He ate it...enjoyed it, and had no ill effects.
scooter80917
Contact Me
When it comes to my dog, Sugar's diet, I usually talk with my vet about it. I know that because of my dog being part Schnauzer, I need to stay away from pork and fatty table food. I feed her Iams lamb. She likes it and she also likes treats of raw carrots, zucchini and apples. My vet told me not to feed her grapes as they might affect her digestive trac. If I'm not careful Sugar will get into the habit of begging. I don't want her to have a weight problem. I try very hard to not feed her from the table. She is good about laying in the other room and coming to the kitchen during 'clean up', just making sure there isn't something left for her!
corky95621
Contact Me
its best to stay away from corn, pork, onions, wheat, soy and by products. there are healthy food out there that do not cost an arm and a leg like DIAMOND NATURALS. you can get it from a feed store. and there are also high end brands like blue buffalo (which you will pay an arm and a leg for) and with blue buffalo most dogs dont eat the life source bits which is the whole point the the food so really its a waste of money. avoderm is another good food. so is wellness, natures variety, chicken soup for the dog lovers soul (lol) Merrick is another good brand and the neat thing about that food is if you add a bit of water to it, it gets a little gravey substance to it which is nice. i feed my dogs raw food and a bit of kibble as well and it has worked amazing!
Peggy0808
Contact Me
I have a Foxton and she is a cow that is all that I can say about her. She will eat anything and everything which is really hard on me to feed her healthy food all the time. I buy the best food and make both my dogs home made meals but she will eat trash. I let her out the other day when it was warmer out to play and when it was time to come in she was at the neighbors house in their trash can that their much larger dog had knocked over. God only knows what she had ate and oh my did she smell bad too. I don't know what to do with her she eats all the time I took her to the vet not to long ago to get her shots and he said it was a puppy thing but I'm thinking it may be something else. Any ideals as to what may be causing her to eat like this cause my small town has one vet and dont know how sure  I am that he knows what he is talking about so please help me out.
corky95621
Contact Me
yea it is deff not a puppy thing. my buster just turned 7 months and he never goes near the garbage neither does my other dog and she is 3. i feed them high quality raw diet with high quality kibble and watch the kind of treats they get. they do not get table scraps and if i give them people food i make sure it is something healthy for her. you should never let your dog run free unattended TRUST ME i use to live in louisiana and i had 10 dogs and i lived by a busy road and one of my dogs got hit. although being in louisiana people are a lot nicer and the guy stopped to knock on my door to apologize and offer to pay for a new dog. i said no because it was not his fault it was mine for letting my dogs run free on my property. i beg you to not let your dog just run amuck in the yard. he could easily be hit or even stollen right out of your yard. try getting a taller trash can or put it into a place that your puppy cannot get into. things in the garbage can be deadly for your pup.
Peggy0808
Contact Me
I allow my dogs to run free only cause we on a very large farm where the neighbors we do have is family members so we have no fear of them getting took or someone hurting them. And my house is miles from any main roads to worry about thankfully cause we kids too. However when they are outside its not for long amounts of time they get like 30 to 40 mins free time daily when warm enough but only for 15 to 20 mins at a time, but with ZoZo it doesnt seem to take her very long to get in trouble! I didnt think it was a puppy thing Im going to take her to a vet in the city soon to get a check up. And yeah the food is the same way here both the puppies get only dog food and dog treats however of late I have mean making them some food that I got from a website for Boston Terriers and they love it. However ZoZo still wants more to eat. And yeah meal time around the house the puppies are in their house or outside cause we all know that kids love to feed their puppies under the table lol. So at this point I dont know what to do about her it kills me she cries for food all the time.
corky95621
Contact Me
it is possible if she is craving food all the time that she could have a thyroid problem or diabetes. i would deff have it checked out.
emgerber
Contact Me
My daughter has 2 labs. One is 15 years old and the other is 8 months and they both want food all the time but that is a known part of the breed. She just does not give it to them but has them on a regular feeding schedule. Lab can very easily get over weight or obese. Just because a dog wants food all the time does not mean there is a problem but having them check out would be the first choice.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund