Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > Diet & Exercise > Diet > Diet

Diet

Replies: 1 - 3 of 3
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
emgerber
Contact Me
I am interested in who makes homemade food for their dogs and some recipes. Who feeds raw food and how you prepare the food? I would also like so recipes for homemade treats.

sands904
Contact Me
I have been feeding my three dogs home-cooked meals for over two years now. They get a variety of meals from meatloaf with veggies and oatmeal to chicken stir-fry with veggies, scrambled eggs, etc. They also get kibble once in a while (mostly when I am really busy and just don't have time to prepare something that day) and freeze-dried raw a few meals a week.

We spoke with our vet when we decided to switch to this kind of meals for them and she said that is just fine as long as you stay away from the foods that are hazardous to dogs. They also get supplements/vitamins each day. The key to feeding a homeprepared diet is to keep it as well-rounded and varied as our own diets using healthy meats and veggies and occassional grains.
Roweenaa
Contact Me
I found a recipe for this treat somewhere, I just can't remember where though.
It's quite simple and my malti-poos love them. So does my daughter's big dog.
I make these and freeze them as "doggie gifts".

Take 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of liver and put it in your food processer. Pulse until it's chopped up.
Add 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and one egg and pulse until it forms a smooth paste.
Spread in a short sided cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. It will be thin.
Bake in a 350 degree oven 20 minutes. It will be soft.
Cut to a size you want  with a pizza cutter or sharp knife.
(Pizza cutter is so much faster)
Cool and store in frig and freezer.
If I remember correctly there are 35 calories per large treat. 
emgerber
Contact Me
Thank you so much for your replies. I think my dog has food allergies. I have heard many people go the route of making their own dog food. Thank you for shairng your experiences and knowledge. The treats sound very easy to make. My Vet has suggested trying a Vet Brand Royal Canin Food for dogs with allergies. I am going to try these suggestions and see what happens. It take a long time for my dogs to adjust to new food. I need to introduce things very very slowly or we end up with a diarrhea problem. I will keep you posted on how things go. Again thanks so much.

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund