Help Stop Puppy Mills   |   PetFinder   |   Rabies Challenge Fund   |   Dog Training Software   |   QR Code Dog Tags   |   Dog Breed DNA Testing
Discussions > General Topics > Q & A > teaching puppy to sit

teaching puppy to sit

Replies: 1 - 15 of 15
Post ReplyActive Topics | New Topic
Author  Topic
Linda78
Contact Me
can somebody tell me why, if I have treats in my hand, Edward (5 mo old chipoo) will sit every time. The minute I don't have the treat, he will NOT sit. he just stands there and, looks at me.. How do I get him to sit/stay without the treats. another problem is trying to teach him to walk nicely on the leash. He puts the leash in his mouth and, then starts to play w/it or chew it. Will not walk calmly. any helpful hints out there?

sands904
Contact Me
Because he knows when you have treats! [:D] My little Lacey was the same way. If he is consistantly sitting when you have a treat in your hand, try getting him to sit with a treat in your hand and then not giving him the treat. Have him do a sit and then a down and then give him the treat. Start mixing it up a bit on him. What helped me is stand by the kitchen counter and have a few treats sitting there where he can't see them. Show him you have nothing in your hands and try to get him to sit (it may take a bit of coaxing) but as soon as he does give him a treat and lots of praise. This worked well with Lacey she soon learned that just because I didn't have anything in my hand didn't mean that wasn't going to get a treat. Once dogs have a command learned consistantly start giving the rewards randomly, like winning in a slot machine, they never know when they might get one so they start doing it everytime just in case. As far as the walking on a leash, unfortunately that is what they do as puppies. Everything is a game or a toy to them [8D]. Try teaching him to walk in a basement or quiet room where there aren't any distractions. You may have to use a treat to coax him along and help him to forget about chewing on the leash. Teaching a dog to walk on a leash is one of the hardest things to do and takes a lot of patience... Check out our [url=/Dog_Articles/22/Loose-Leash_Walking.aspx]Loose-Leash Walking[/url] article.
Linda78
Contact Me
Thank you! We will try that with the treats. makes sense, what you said. He's like a little soldier when he sees the treats. sits right down! when we don't have a treat,he's a rebel! lol Thanks....
sands904
Contact Me
You are very welcome! I hope it works! It took me a while to break my three of that habbit. Just like a kid with a candy bar [:D]
Linda78
Contact Me
So far, so good.. my daughter was practicing w/him all day and, he's pretty much sitting every time, with or with out the treat. also developing another habit of barking like he's being killed! Yesterday a neighbor brought over a puppy that her nephew found and, we brought Edward outside to see him. Never saw a dog react the way Edward did..he was like screeching to the point my daughter had to bring him in. I'm thinking maybe it was a territorial thing. what do you think?
sands904
Contact Me
Glad to hear it! It could definitely be a territorial thing. Did he act scared? or like he wanted to play? Did he run toward the dog while he was barking? Any growling? Has he been around many other dogs so far? It might be worth a trying to introduce him to the dog again on more neutral territory like a park or another yard to see how he reacts. If you haven't been I would definitely recommend socializing him more with other dogs. The prime socialization period is about 3 to 4 months but since he is just over that better sooner than later. This is something we missed with Logan and he is now just over 3 years old and has issues with other dogs. He barks and lunges when he sees them. I have really been working with him over the past few months and we are making some progress but it would have been much easier had we done more sooner. Hope I can help you by learning from my mistakes :)
bman

about the terratorial thing you pretty much know how to fix it and one way to stop the barking is to get a squirt bottle and when they start to bark tell them no bark and if they continually bark squirt their face with it i have 2 gogs and after a few days of that they saw the bottle and immidiatly stopped here they are http://www.designermixes.org/Dogs/Bio.aspx?Dog=1131 http://www.purebredpups.org/Dogs/Bio.aspx?Dog=185
Linda78
Contact Me
we took him to the park last night for a walk. He was pretty good the whole time. didn't really react much to other dogs. When we got back to the car, there was a dog neaby and , he started barking at it, or, screeching or whatever it is he's doing! As far as the spray bottle, we've tried that. he loves it!! just sits there and licks the water off his paws!
bman

it may be a territorial thing, or it could be that he is scared. do you remember if the dog was bigger or smaller than him?
Linda78
Contact Me
the other dog was bigger than him but, not a whole lot. we took him again to the park last night and, he was great.my daughter toook him today and she said he was growlin at the geese and, she had to drag him along. turns out she had the harness on wrong! once she fixed it, he walked nicely!
bman

yea it mayb because hes scared but im glad hes doin better with it! and yes a harnes on backwards would make a dog growl (:
Linda78
Contact Me
lol..yes, it would! we're going to keep taking him to the park where there are dogs, and, hopefully he'll be a good boy! Maxie is adorable [:)]
bman

awwwww thanks [:D] good luck at the park, and edward is so tiny and cute! I looked at kipper and i cant believe they're not the same kind of dog, they look exactly the same!
sophiesmom
Contact Me
Linda, it could also be a Chipoo thing cause Sophie is a screecher too! At dogs, people, noises-you name it. Also, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on getting Sophie over her dislike of small children. She will snap and bark if I allow the kids to get too close. I have tried everything but the vet thinks she will get over it. I am not so sure though, she is going on 7 months old. We don't have kids at home, but we have so many in the family and there is always one around. I take Sophie to all family functions to try to get her socialized and it isn't working. When people come to the house I always have her mingle and she is fine unless a little one tries to get too close. Any and all ideas would be appreciated. [:D]
wandarenee
Contact Me
Hello Linda 78, I read your letter and i had the same problem with Mercedes. What i did with the sit is i show her the treat and gve her the order to sit ,when she sat i told her good girl and gave her the treat. Then i did that twice, then the next time that i ask her to sit , i show her the treat and told her to sit ,when she sat instead of giving her the treat i praise her about sitting and i told her good girl but i didnt give her the treat. then the next time i did i kept doing that ,and just let her know that when mommy tell you to do something you will not get a treat all the time,but a lot of love and praise. please try it and let me know how it comes out. That why when i go to classes i like the one that dont teach with the treats,because i dont want my babaies to learn that in order to make me do something you have to give me a treat,because one day while walking i may not have anything to give but hugs and kisses
wandarenee
Contact Me
Hello again LInda Now for the walking when your baby put the leash in his mouth just as you are walking or even stop and pull the leash and say in a strong tone,DROP IT , and keep doing it until he gets the message. Also when you are walking never let him walk ahead of you,always right beside you,if he start walking a little behind thats ok too. but that shows him that you are the leader of the pack and the boss not him. Just remember as soon as he starte stop him right then, and say DROP IT and when he start walking right just say good boy so that he know ok im going good and mom is proud of me.. Let me know how it goes Wandarenee

Page: 1
About | Contact | Help | Donate | Links
Advertising | Website Design

©2007-2024 designermixes.org
Terms & Conditions | Privacy | Scams

Sites We Love:
PetFinder | Rabies Challenge Fund